The “few” are the mighty from which they will grow. We had about 50 people at the meeting, ALL wanting to work. Hank Moore, City Commissioner, did come and speak with us. His information is invaluable and focused on the entire city. The questions and answers flowed freely.
Most everyone signed up to help with the various committees of research, etc. All agreed that we have past the “emotional” approach, which involves only a portion of the city. Action needs to be taken to involve the real facts and issues and work with the Stillwater citizenry toward the best interest of the entire City of Stillwater, the University and the State. We will aim to have a true PARTNERSHIP with the city and the university.
There will not be another meeting until after Christmas. Then we will probably meet in committees and periodically the heads of committees will meet to keep our efforts coordinated. You will be contacted by your choice of either e-mail or by phone.
Anyone not attending the meeting, property owner and/or CONCERNED CITIZEN who desires to work toward this goal, can email us by adding a comment under the topic â€œ How Can You Helpâ€ ( write your comment at the very bottom of that page).
We were so involved in our â€œmissionâ€ that we did not have time to report on the meeting held with Dr. Schmidly. I don’t know that we learned anything new, but it was good to meet with him. He graciously listened to and answered as best he could, all our questions and comments.
Summary of 12-19-05 meeting with Dr. Schmidly
1. Real property acquisition through negotiation is presently funded and the OSUF will continue to acquire property on a willing seller/willing buyer basis.
2. At this time money is not available for eminent domain action in all the area N of Hall Fame. There is limited funding to purchase proerties from willing sellers. There is not, currently, funding available to complete the planned facilities. Mr. Schmidly cannot/will not predict when money will be available. Possibly a few years.
3. Eminent Domain will be used to acquire property when:
a. Funding is in place for a specific building project.
b. The property required for the specific building project cannot be purchased on willing buyer/willing seller basis.
4. OSU is willing to provide studies, reports, maps etc. (or information on where such can be viewed or obtained).
5. OSU will respond to written requests and/or suggestions from residents.
6. President Schmidly is available for further meetings.
7. Ann asked for a map of Stillwater showing all property currently owned by OSU and Dr. Schmidley stated that he would get that for us.